Friday, December 21, 2012

Vintage Christmas Gift Bag Tutorial Featuring Graphic 45 and Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L

Okay, so it has come this, Gift Card mode! When did it happen that we stopped buying gifts and just went straight for the gift card section?  I guess since the invention of Gift Cards! Don't get me wrong, I love a good gift card myself, but in a way, they can seem a bit impersonal right? Well no longer, I have a great way to add that special touch to any gift card: Put it in an amazing handmade gift bag! It's the gift that says: I love you so much I went to the trouble to HAND MAKE this gift bag just for you! Now here's your Starbucks gift card... enjoy!
Start by finding a sturdy box about the size you want to make your bag-to be able to use on 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper make sure the entire diameter is no more than 11 inches around. Measure its length (my box 5 inches tall) , then measure its depth (my box 1.75 inches wide) and then add the length and depth+ = 6.75 inches by 12 inches will be what I cut.

Line your box up in the middle and "dummy" fold one of the sides up. Dummy folding is to just fold up against the edge lightly so you can see where to fold, but without making a hard crease

Dummy fold each crease you need one by one, and then make the hard crease with a bone folder-making sure your paper is even- after you do all four creases take your Scrapbook Adhesives Crafty Power Tape to glue down the seam-keep the box INSIDE!

Then fold down like a present- your paper will line up perfectly and you will have the 1.75 inch to fold over- again use Scrapbook Adhesives Crafty Power Tape- This stuff has an amazingly strong hold which you will need

Next I took my Imaginarium Designs Chipboard Frame and inked it with Clearsnap Cats Eye in Gold-set aside to dry

Cut out a piece of Graphic 45 Christmas Emporium Paper, and highlight with some glitter. I used Clearsnap glitter and a Martha Stewart Fine Tip Glue pen.

And now for my little trick! This chipboard frame is very delicate, and I used Scrapbook Adhesives tiniest 3D foam dots, but they still showed ever so slightly! So I went ahead and put them on.....

Then I flipped it over, hit it with some gold glitter, and pressed the glitter onto the showing part of the foam square with a brush and voila, they disappeared with a sparkle! 

I then attached my cardstock piece to the frame, then added another layer of foam dots


To embellish, I added a sticker from Jolees French General Labels, some upholstery trim to the top (with hot glue) and then some Petaloo Flowers

Now, take the box out! You leave it in so you have a nice support to embellish your box with

Pinch in the tops, to give it that "Ima gift bag" look

Hot glue on some Handles. Wire ribbon works best.

Now make some custom filler. Roll up some vintage paper the long way

and with your scissor trim off approximately .25 in slices. But mix it up-it looks cooler (I mean more handmade) if they aren't all uniform

Loosely fluff up the cut pieces and then hit with some Ginger Ale Smooch Spritz to give it a little shine

Then scrunch it up in a tiny ball, then fluff and repeat. Use to fill your gift bag.
{Oh yeah add a little gift tag while your at it! G45 gives you a bunch to choose from}



{can you even tell the 3D squares are showing through??}

{here is another variation. I added another 1.75 inches then just trimmed top with pinking shears, punched to holes and added trim and a tag}

{and anther variation, I added 2 inches and then trimmed with a Fiskars border punch. Then made my holes on the sides, ran wired ribbon and knotted. Then curled the ribbon off to the sides.}
If you didn't come here from the G45 blog head on over for more pics:




17 comments:

  1. Adorable! I'll save this and do it for Valentines Day! You're always full of ideas! Have a great holiday!xoxo-cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always - great project. Thanks for the inspiration.
    katrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome gift idea! Loved the tutorial, thanks for sharing that Denise! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise this is darling!!! Oh I wish I lived closer so I could come to some of your classes! This sort of thing is so much more fun to do with friends! Precious! Maybe next year I will start earlier & have more time. Unless Kim does another Wonderland... I loved it but, WOW it put me behind. Have a Merry Christmas!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! Great idea for the holidays. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a CLASSY bag...love the image of Santa and the frame. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this!!! Going to give it a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea - beautiful bags.
    TFS - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These bags are wonderful and gorgeous! I will have to try to make these beautiful bags myself! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous idea Denise! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, a fellow MS glue pen lover….finally I've met my soulmate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice christmas gift bags. I like this design very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice christmas gift bag. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete